Thursday, May 12, 2005

Learn to Dissect a Living Dog!

Wanna learn how to dissect a living dog?!

I know you do...

You can learn how at Gunnison Valley High School, in Gunnison, Utah. No kidding.
Substitute biology "teacher," Doug Bjerregaard thinks it's a "good experience if (students) could see the digestive system in the living animal."

Kirk Anderson, the school's principal, agrees. He explains the dog was going to be euthanized anyway. So, like... duh.... it's cool, then.

Despite the student/parent/community uproar, Bjerregaard is standing by his decision and Principal Anderson supports the lesson and will allow it to continue because "the students are learning."

You think?!

Those students would be learning if we did the same thing with a human! And hey, why not?! We already cut loose with Terri Schiavo! What's one more?!


What in the HELL are these people thinking?!


Give them a piece of your mind...
Gunnison Valley High School
(435) 528-7256

Doug Bjerregaard, apparently, also the Mayor of Mayfield Town, Utah
(435) 528-3255 .... until I confirm with WKMG, try not bugging the Mayor, but my call is in it to John at WKMG - and I'm waiting...

Kirk Anderson
kirk.anderson@ssanpete.k12.ut.us
and the phone number at Gunnison Valley HS


... send them my regards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am able to work with a veterinarian on a daily basis saving the lives of countless animals. I got my start from seeing an operation on a live animal. It intrigued me and got me into the profession that I am now in. This biology lesson intended to teach students about the internal digestive system, the same procedure is done in exploratory surgeries daily. Who knows how many animals or peoples lives will be saved because of the students intrigue that was sparked that day. Because of one attention starved student, who has missed more days of school than she has been went to the media instead of the doctor or the principle has possibly ruined the life of a well loved veterinarian and teacher. I know both the teacher and the veterinarian and hold them in very high respect, when I was younger I helped the veterinarian stay countless hours trying to save a dog with Parvo, or helping a local farmer deliver a new born calf and the doctor would then stay ensure the safety and health of the animal. These two men are some of the most caring and loving people I know. I hope the people that have such hateful words for such admirable people look more at the whole picture of the students getting a love for science and a ending up saving thousands of lives of animals and people because of this.